Tuesday 8 March 2011

That Unfamiliar Sensation

Faced with a long walk home today, I looked outside the window. The sky was a brilliant blue, a few stray clouds the only blemish on an otherwise prestige canvas. It looked glorious, like a summers day. The trees swayed lightly in the breeze which only made me downhearted.

I've seen this before; an oasis of bliss that awaits on the other side of the pane, only to unveil it's true ways as soon as you step outside and the once enticing surroundings engulf you with a barrage of razor sharp, freezing winds that sting the skin. Winter simply doesn't give in that easy.

I long for the times when summer came early and was a pleasant surprise. When I was a kid, many times did a warm pleasant day disrupt the depressing script of Winter. Not anymore, not now. With this in mind I reached into my pocket and unveiled my trusty gloves. I then wrapped my scarf neatly round my neck and finally pulled my hat over my ears, ensuring I was at least warmer than usual.

Out I stepped, and sure enough, there was a breeze present. But it was different this time. This breeze was a pleasant breeze, mild in temperature and soft on the skin. No grains of sand and stone whipping across my pores, only air. As I turned onto the main road my spirits erupted as the now pounding sun shone strongly on my face. Alas, it was a summers day in winter- the kind I have longed for since I was half my height and I made sure I savoured it. I strolled home leisurely, not wanting the warm sensation, coupled with the light breeze, to ever end. My walk was enjoyable, something I thought unthinkable as I glared through that pane of glass only minutes before.

Amazing, I thought, how something as simple as a spot of sunshine can literally light up your spirits. And with that I continued my journey, a glorious journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate all comments...