Sunday 13 March 2011

Waving The White Flag

This article follows on from my original piece at DD&aP and focuses on the current state of our planet and the environment. This week, Japan was rocked by an earthquake like no other it has ever endured (and as I write this I can hear the TV saying they're bracing for a second quake). The images I am seeing right now are comparing before and after satellite shots which are almost unbelievable. This disaster, however, is just the latest in  a long line of catastrophes to happen over the past 12-24 months. Oil slicks, fires, quakes, hurricanes and tsunamis have been quite frequent in recent years. But what's to blame?

The first thing people say is Global Warming. I must say this seems the most likely to myself, and just shows how ignorant we are as a race. We were warned and warned and warned decades before by celebrated scientists yet done nothing to stop the abusing of our planet. It's that stupid thing f Man vs Nature. We need to be the dominant force. But how can you override Mother Nature? You can't. It's like prodding an angry dog; if you carry on it will attack. The more we abuse the planet, the harder it retaliates. Surely now we need to wave the white flag and stop annoying the grander forces of the planet before the decide to eradicate us completely (and who would blame it/them?). Back to Japan briefly, I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if that tsunami had hit a lesser prepared country- total devastation surely.

Another theory I've heard recently as to the reasoning behind the crazy weather recently is the whole 2010 thing. When these rumours started a few years ago I thought yeah, I hear this crap every year and should have been six feet under a decade ago. However, this claim does seem slightly more credible. I don't believe the Mayan prophecies theory, but it's actual fact that there will be a cosmic shift of some kind next year that could affect various elements such as tides etc. Some scientists claim the changes will be minimal- not enough for a normal person as myself to even notice; some say it could trigger a natural disaster of some sort.

However, I'm sticking with the Global Warming theory. The more I write this article the more the anger inside me wells up. Why does it take something this devastating to make people write about our behaviour towards the planet? It should never have got this far. Why is it only now, after such a grand disaster, that the worlds countries are flooding in to help Japan; should we not be one cumulative race 365 days a year no matter what the situation? What an absolutely greedy and money powered era we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate all comments...