Friday 25 February 2011

A Glossier Landscape

Over the last few years, Liverpool has slowly transformed from an old, tired looking and once great city to a sophisticated, sleek, lean and modern hot spot for business, tourism and living. This makes me happy, delighted even, that my city is once again taking its rightful place the worlds elite cities.

However, more recently, the even more familiar landscape of my borough (or local area) has, quite radically, begun to change. Again, I'm pleased that progress is happening and these days I guess I should be happy that any money at all is being invested in my area. However, I can't help but feel genuine sadness when I pass the places that once stood and gave me the memories I grew up with.

My school, which gave me some of the best years of my life and which we fought endlessly to keep open, has been wiped off the face of the land and replaced by a glossy, angular multi-million pound state of the art leisure centre. Our 'rival' school, which many of my friends went to, has also been demolished and replaced by another ultra modern learning centre. I passed my old house a few weeks back only to find it gone, new houses being built in its place. The landscape seems to be getting ever more angular, ever more shiny, ever more eco-friendly and ever more advanced. That's fine in the whole grand scheme of things, but I can't help but feel down knowing I can never re-visit the places I grew up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate all comments...