Tuesday 22 February 2011

Trending Tuesday - Christchurch

Twitter can be a great tool that allows us to stay in touch with the biggest matters happening right now anywhere in the world. Its 'Trends' list allows us to quickly look up the most controversial and discussed about topics happening right now in under a minute. Therefore, I've decided to base my first full feature to it. 

Every Tuesday I will take one topic that is trending that day and give my views and opinions on it- I encourage you to give yours too, whether you agree or disagree!

This week there's the usual Justin Bieber tripe- I wonder what celebrity he's smugly grinning next to today?- honestly, I just don't care. But before this turns into a personal vendetta against Bieber- which could easily happen- lets focus on the more serious topic of the Christchurch earthquake in New Zealand. After a devastating earthquake reading 6.3 on the richter scale hit the beautiful surroundings of Christchurch, news started emerging that 65 people were killed- though more are missing and thought to be buried under tonnes of rubble. Upon doing my research, I learnt that on September 4th 2010, an even greater earthquake hit, only this time on the outskirts of the larger cities and therefore causing less fatalities and injuries. 


It seems the weather and mother nature has gone very strange over the last year, I can't remember a wetter, colder or windier year than last. Whatever the cause, it seems as though each month a disaster comes our way resulting in mass death or injury. Floods, blizzards and earthquakes have been common occurances over the past 12 months yet the cause is unknown- global warming? Not sure, I'll write an article dedicated to this soon. 

I can only send my best wishes and hope to those affected by this disaster and although 65 people lost their lives it could have been a lot worse. Let's hope them missing are recovered safe and sound, though fatalities are expected of course, and hopefully the weather will start to pipe down- as well as the cathedral being fully restored (as pictured).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate all comments...